Monday, May 17, 2010

Gotta Love That Clover!


I've really got into using cover crops and green manures in the last several years. Crimson Clover (Trifolium incarnatum ) is one of my favorite. It's beautiful to look at, improves the soil, attracts beneficial insects and seems to do just fine in the shade of my oaks.










It's totally abuzz with all kinds of bees, wasps, ladybugs and soldier beetles. Speaking of ladybugs it seems like there aren't nearly as many as last year.... wonder if it's the weather?



Another clover I like is White Dutch Clover (Trifolium repens) it doesn't get nearly as tall and has all the same benefits. I can mow it to add to my compost pile and in a few weeks it's back again. it also takes traffic pretty well. About the only down side of clover is it attracts snails and slugs but what the hell I'll have those anyway!



I think eventually I'll replace all of my worthless grass with it!



No comments:

Post a Comment