Tuesday, May 18, 2010

One Man’s Trash is Another Man’s Treasure

A few months ago a beer drink ‘n buddy of mine came over to drop off some wire, and to share a cold one of course. After I finished my first one, I reached into the bed of his truck for another. As I leaned over the tail gate my eyes went over the ice chest, full of frosty cold ones and straight for a pile of 12 gleaming empty 5 gallon Sierra water bottles . Of course being the scavenger that I am and not having a clue what I would use them for (only that I had to have them!), I hollered “Bob! What the hell are you gonna do with these?” Well to make a long story short, when Bob drove off, that gleaming treasure laid right there in my driveway….. Humm! What am I going to do with those. Better haul them down to the garage before the wife gets home!


Well, Dog Bite My Pecker! if they didn't come in handy!




Just cut the bottoms off with a saber saw and Walla! The top is a mini greenhouse and the bottom is a plastic tray for potted plants! Just right to get my tomato plants off to a toasty start.






4 comments:

  1. You got an ACRE? A FULL ACRE? Color me jealous! Way, way, jealous. Venus and I tried for a simple half-acre in Rio Linda -- but the guy turned down our offer our very generous offer during the height of the real estate boom. He's for sure kicking himself now, cause there's no way in Hades he'd get that kind of money for that place now. But it sure was nice. Instead, we settled our our little .25 in North Natomas. Hey Ron? If you let any of your artichokes flower? It reduces the size of next year's crop. Just say no Ron -- even though the bees love that pollen. If you want strong artichoke crops year after year after year? Don't let them flower...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I may have an acre but only 1/4 of it has sun.About all I get from the rest of it is oak leaves. I have some rather large compost piles as you can imagine.
    Yea I'll bet he's kicking himself in the you-know-what!
    I did let them flower the first year but not last year. Got some great picture, beautiful flowers! Wait a minute... I did divide one, that probably didn't help. Are yours in full sun all day? That's hard to find around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea Ron. Wish I'd thought of it earlier this year when hail was predicted and I was scrambling to provide shelter for my tender seedlings that I for once got a head start on planting. For some I was able to use inverted flower pots and others two liter soft drink bottles and others gallon milk jugs but the 5-gallon size would have been great for the larger transplants. I can't wait to use this idea next year when maybe I'll get an even earlier start using these as mini greenhouses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, maybe I'll bump into you at the water bottle... we'll be the ones eye balling the empties.
    They are just sturdy and heavy enough where the wind didn't seem to bother them at all and we got our share of that this year!

    ReplyDelete